VCI is a sophisticated yet economical way of protecting metals from corrosion. The atomic layer of VCI within the surface of the metal inhibits the electrochemical process. Our specialized eco-friendly VCI chemicals release corrosion inhibiting particles within the vapor area of the packaged metal. These VCI particles foam a thin protective layer about one molecule in thickness on the surface of the metal.
Effects of VCI
Chemical Coating of Metal Surface
A coated layer such as painting or greasing prevents oxygen in the air and water vapor from oxidizing with ions on the metal surface. However, painting and greasing when poorly maintained catalyzes rusting, not to mention added overhead costs to wash-off. VCI releases a chemical vapor which forms a chemical layer on the metal surface. This invisible layer of chemicals prevents oxidization, and naturally dissipates when air-flow is reintroduced.
The surface of metals isn’t in a stable state. The electrons of the metal ions are traveling freely and looking to bond and return to a stable state. When ions bond with O, OH ions suspended in the air, this leads to oxidization. VCI chemicals artificially create covalent bonds (stable) with the metal surface to stop anode-cathode electron transmission.
Vapor Pressure and Equilibrium
VCI creates an artificial atmosphere which prevents O, OH ions from freely moving in the close space. VCI chemicals have a much lower vapor pressure than water (20 mmHg) at 0.01-0.4 mmHg; therefore VCI doesn’t evaporate. VCI chemicals suspended in the air traps O, OH ions and create an artificial atmosphere which is rust-free.
- Eco-friendly to the environment
- Does not contain nitrites, phosphates, chromes, or heavy metals
- Vapor-phase inhibiting action protects recessed and inaccessible surfaces
- Protected products can be shipped to customers without removal depending on types of VCI products
- Standard anti-corrosion protection for 2 years
- Little or no surface preparation is required after VCI packaging
- Reduces overhead cost as it is easy to apply and improves the handling productivity and safety
- VCI layer does not need to be removed prior to processing or during the use of operation
- If required, the VCI may be easily removed by an air gun or water flush
- The application provides economical protection for various applications